Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Netherlands, Noord-Holland, AmsterdamHQ
Are you in for a great ride at Swapfiets in which you bring our operations to the next level, to serve our members with great rides that last - cost effectively?
We are looking for a COO who understands the dynamic of an international scale-up company in a Private Equity/Venture Capital backed environment. We are looking for a down-to-earth individual and executionally strong operator. Someone who gets motivated by making end-to-end processes better every day: from the moment we receive bikes from the factory in our distribution centre, distribute them to the right place at the right time to serve our members in our stores and in the field, where we receive back broken bikes that need to go through our repair process and ultimately to get the repaired bikes back at our members, through our 55 stores and 20 warehouses/hubs in 9 countries.
You are obsessed with working with people and data. Focused on efficiency and quality of our service and our products. Understanding theory and practice. In short, to serve our members with great bikes that last - cost effectively!
As COO, you are part of the Management Team and you are responsible for the Global Operational Excellence team and the central functions of Warehouse & Logistics as well as Store & field Operations. You report directly to the CEO. The role is based at Swapfiets HQ in Amsterdam.
Your ultimate goal is to serve our members with great rides that last - cost effectively. So to run an effective and efficient operation that has sufficient operational capacity (enough bikes ready to serve our members at the right place and time, as well as enough time slots for members to book service appointments) whilst complying with our service promise (awesome service available to you within 24hrs in our stores and in the field) and as well with our product quality standards.
Our COO will be characterized as an inspirational leader with a heart for strategic & ‘operational’ operations. Someone who has excellent communication skills and who can motivate & create a movement in the organization. You bring deep knowledge, expertise and thought leadership on operational management and you have experience working in Private equity/venture capital backed scale-up companies.
You are a natural leader who can effortlessly hire, build and lead teams in an international environment. In this role you will set the strategic direction of the Operations team, build/manage high performing teams and come up with operationally achievable solutions for the growth ambitions we have. You are a data-driven decision maker and you have the ability to think end-to-end.
- Responsible for the strategy for a scalable warehouse and store&field approach that further optimizes the Swapfiets Supply Chain offense;
- Defines, in conjunction with our general managers, an annual operations plan and operations budgets, aligned to overall strategy and budget planning. Oversees budget of operations;
- You build and lead the central Operations Team (consisting out of 26 professionals at HQ). Besides, you functionally lead the operating teams in the countries which means 330 employees in the warehouse and 650 people in the store & field who service our current 265,000 members in 9 countries. You understand what it takes to make teams high performing teams;
- Apart from hiring, coaching and developing the team, you establish structure in the ways of working and you will be the visionary operational leader that inspires others to go the extra mile. You will work closely together with the Product team, the Tech team, the Consumer Direct team and the general managers & country managers;
- Drives and manages the internal supply chain process for Swapfiets to all warehouses and stores (excl factory), with focus on the distribution of all products to ensure an optimal balance between product supply and consumer demand;
- Leads the long term S&OP process together with the Product Director and the Consumer Direct Director to ensure demand and supply are matched against minimal inventory cost;
- Oversees the effective repair process and logistics for all products in the warehouses and stores;
- Oversees the effective service and planning process for all products in all stores and in the field, you make your analyses and you provide proposals for continuous improvement;
- Sign-off strategic decisions in the area of the operations in the countries we operate in, regarding: service & efficiency, purchasing & product, international expansion, CAPEX budget (related to operations).
You are an excellent communicator and relationship builder with a keen interest for coaching people and managing partners at all levels of the organization. You bring a humble personality with a growth mindset and passion for making end-to-end processes better every day. You are very self-aware and low on ego. Next to this you bring:
- Academic working and thinking level and 15+ years of working experience;
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant management experience;
- You have a proven track record fast paced international organizations and/or private equity/venture capital backed scale-up companies;
- Strong leadership, strategic thinking and a proven track record in strategic operational management;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships and communication within the management team, the supervisory board and external parties;
- Strong presentation skills and the capability to inspire people to go the extra mile;
- Demonstrated business acumen combined with strong operational foundations, especially in retail/warehousing/logistics & supply chain;
- Driven by data and is able to create structure in order to create an operating model for our operations that is scalable, simple and ready for the next phases of growth;
- Excellent in English and/or local language;
- Ability to think ahead and solid understanding of financials to design performance structures around budget and KPI’s;
- You are willing to travel a significant amount of your time to visit the warehouses and stores across Europe.
What Swapfiets offers you
- Your own Swapfiets (lend-lease) 🚲!
- 32 vacation days (that’s right, next to 25 vacation days you can use your 7 Swap days as you please)
- A solid pension plan and a discount on your health insurance
- MacBook or a Windows laptop (what you prefer)
- Lots of responsibility, challenging work, and friendly colleagues
- Mobility allowance (if you live more than 11 km away from the office, otherwise you’ll just use your Swapfiets, right..?)
- Delicious lunch at the office for a small contribution
- Onefit for Business arrangement (to promote your healthy lifestyle!)
- Learning programs developed by our L&D department
- One day off per year to do voluntary work paid by Swapfiets
- Flexibility in working from home/at our brand new office at the Molukkenstraat.
Do you have any questions before applying, get in touch with our Head of Talent Acquisition a.i. email@example.com or +31(6)12059882. We are not interested in working together with recruitment agencies. Any acquisition based on this job description is not appreciated.